Monday 5 February 2018

Hawke’s Bay

Waitangi Day 6th February.
Today is a public holiday in recognition of the signing of the Waitangi Treaty. 
After a lazy start we were still away by 9.45am. There has been some rain in the night and the morning was showery. We drove along the SH2 passing through a range of farmland, mainly grassland and large herds of cattle to begin with, then huge fields of maize and finally when we got to Hawke’s Bay, fruit orchards and vineyards.  The first half an hour or so driving was tricky due to high winds.
We stopped in Waipukurau to do some shopping and have a coffee, the natives were very friendly and suggested I park across 4 spaces rather than into one space and  sticking out because of our length. I was twice congratulated on my driving of  this beast!  We also filled up with even cheaper diesel, so we are all set for a few days. We decided to have an easy day and headed for beach site east of Hastings arriving at  about 1.30. After a beer and some lunch we walked along the beach for some way, I went paddling and inadvertently took a dip, as I was swamped by a wave, however I was wearing my swim costume, just hadn’t taken the plunge to go in! Nature did it for me!!




Gulls waiting patiently as I ate my lunch

Looking towards Cape Kidnappers

Tomorrow we will go to Napier and have a good look round then drive further north to find a campsite. Napier appears not to welcome campers!

Weather: Mixed, showery at first high winds, then sunny and settled and then strong southerly winds in the afternoon.
Total km 191, better roads so easier to make progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment