Friday 15 February 2013

Port Jackson, Coromandel

We drove here yesterday, 398km, which doesn't sound a lot, but is a long day on NZ roads where only about an hour was motorway and the last 27km is gravel! We had plenty of stops, food shopping, coffee, lunch and tea! We came up here for one night on our last trip and therefore knew that it is a great location. We have got a site on the beach and the sun is shining as I write this! After a very lazy start this morning we walked out over the headland to our right, coming to a small bay where M stopped to have swim. The beach was stony so I didn't see the point when we have a sandy beach on our campervan doorstep! I walked on on the coastal path reventually reaching the gravel road. A sign indicated that it was 1 hr walk back to our campsite but I did it in half that time. I think they allow for very slow walkers ! I saw some Pukeko on my way. They are mainly black, with a blue breast and a large orange/ red beak, bigger than a moorhen , smaller than a goose. They live in the ditches at the roadsides and are often used as a symbol of New Zealand.
Now we are back at the van and I am planning to get my lace out for the first time! Later I will have a swim. :)





1 comment:

  1. The far north of Coromandel is a lovely place Liz. We travelled there in a Basejumper2 motorhome last May. The weather was stunning, even in early Autumn. The drive up the narrow shingle road was a bit hairy, especially the view down the cliffs from the passengers seat! You can see our video of this leg of our trip at http://vimeo.com/59296989

    ReplyDelete